Saturday, June 3, 2017

“Fight Club,” by Chuck Palahniuk

FM's ratings:
  1. Premise 10
  2. Prose 7
  3. Plot 8
  4. Characters 7
  5. Overall 8
Comments (optional - but try to keep it under 3000 words!)

Always, always, ALWAYS read the book before seeing the movie! This was Mr. Palahniuk’s first novel, and his most famous one to date if I’m not mistaken. The movie was actually better, but I have to admit that if I had read the book first I might feel differently. I honestly don’t know. I have read four other books by him and liked them all better – especially the amazing and ever-so-twisted “Haunted” that is a kind of combination novel/short story collection. Palahniuk has stated that he liked the movie better than the book as well – something you really don’t expect an author to admit! But again, if I had read this novel first – before the movie or his other books – I might well have been blown away by it. Some people don’t like his prose at all. While I can see why, I have to say that I appreciate its originality, its artistry, its audacity. I’m fine with it in doses the size of the occasional novel by him. But please, no copycats. And yes, I still intend to read all of his novels eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment