Sunday, June 25, 2017

“The Green Mile,” by Stephen King

FM's ratings:
  1. Premise 10
  2. Prose 10
  3. Plot 10
  4. Characters 10
  5. Overall 10
Comments (optional - but try to keep it under 3000 words!)

King’s finest work? Just maybe. Especially for people who tend to turn up their noses at “Horror.” When it first came out, published in serial form, in six separate, temporally spaced mini-books, I thought that was a dumb idea, not really considering that just maybe the story was worth reading in ANY form. I still think that I don’t personally want to read a story that way, and I’m glad I waited until all 6 books came out in one cover. But that’s just me. I’m sure many people absolutely loved the format. Is it “Horror”? There are certainly some gruesome passages; but wouldn’t – or shouldn’t – there be in any novel that treated this kind of content? Here King blends a hard-edged prison novel with the most whimsical elements of fantasy. He blends genres very well; his “Wizard and Glass” is a masterpiece of genre blending, and it might be my favorite King novel, or at least the most memorable for me. This book, in some ways, is even better. Had I been told how great it is by others? Of course. But I had to prove it to myself, as always. The other issue that made me delay reading this is that, when I already know too much about what a story contains, I feel it’s a bit spoiled for me. I still haven’t really read “Tom Sawyer” for that reason. But one doesn’t read a King novel just for the story. The prose, the plain old “writin’” is really the main attraction. People call him a genius. I cannot disagree.




Here’s the July line-up!

"Divided in Death," by J. D. Robb [7-1-17]
"The Brethren," by John Grisham [7-8-17]
"Deadlocked," by Charlaine Harris [7-15-17]
"Grave Peril," by Jim Butcher [7-22-17]
"Hiss and Hers," by M. C. Beaton [7-29-17]



(As always, if there are any books you’d like to recommend for next month, please do so. Also, if you have already read one on our previous lists, you are invited to send your ratings and or comments for that book!)

No comments:

Post a Comment