Friday, January 15, 2016

“Choke,” by Chuck Palahniuk

FM's ratings:

          1. Premise 9
          2. Prose 10
          3. Plot 8
          4. Characters 9
          5. Overall 9

Comments (optional - but try to keep it under 3000 words!)


From everything I have heard about this author and from having seen the movie made from his book “Fight Club” I pretty much knew that reading him would be a very special treat for me.  This one comes a lot closer to a “10” for me, personally, as it hits ALL my buttons, but attempting to be realistic, I grudgingly admit that it falls a little short in some areas.  Palahniuk definitely takes his place on my list of authors by which I want to read EVERYTHING.  I noted somewhere that he may rightly be considered “the new Kurt Vonnegut,” and think the comparison is a good one.  “[Blank] isn’t the right word for it, but it’s the first one that comes to mind,” is a Vonnegut-like device used throughout the book to great effect.  Of course, Palahniuk’s depictions of sexual scenes and themes, echoing Stephen King’s depictions of “gross-out” scenes and themes will keep a large percentage of the reading public from appreciating these fine authors.  Their loss.  This is brilliant writing with profound meaning disguised as cheap entertainment.  Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment