Friday, December 11, 2015

“Not a Creature Was Stirring,” by Jane Haddam

FM's ratings:

          1. Premise 9
          2. Prose 10
          3. Plot 8
          4. Characters 10
          5. Overall 9

Comments (optional - but try to keep it under 3000 words!)

Another first time author for me; another brilliant novel.  I have decided that whenever this happens, I am going to immediately get another book by the same author to add to my to-be-read shelf, even if I don’t plan to read it right away.  Otherwise I’ll lose track of all of them!  Very intelligent prose here – I have come to realize that great writing is all I really need in a work of fiction.  A really good story with mediocre prose doesn’t do as much for me.  The plot here suffers from a too-abrupt ending; a problem I have with most mysteries, as if the authors are saying, “Now that you know whodunit, I’ll waste no more of your time.”  Yes, there is the Epilogue in which the mystery solver explains how he or she came to the right solution.  I suppose these things are what “mystery readers” expect, so maybe I’m not a bona fide “mystery reader.”  But I’ll always appreciate good writing, and that’s what Jane Haddam delivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment