Friday, May 9, 2014

Memory in Death (J. D. Robb) Chapters 1-6

Wow.  What a pleasant surprise.  I’ve known about Nora Roberts for years and years (just didn’t know she also wrote under the pseudonym of J. D. Robb) and had thoughtlessly written her off as a typical Romance writer that wouldn’t interest me.  Boy was I wrong!  Right from the start, I was enthralled by the level of wit in the prose, reminiscent of Joan Hess or even Sue Grafton but with a harder, streetwise edge to it, fresh and invigorating.  If the author can keep this up throughout the book, she has a new fan.  The dialog strikes the perfect balance between sardonicism and intelligence, especially the banter between Eve Dallas and Delia Peabody.

But the dialog between Eve and her husband Roarke, even apart from the witticisms, is honestly some of the best I have ever read.  When I try a new author, I like to compare them with other authors to sort of fit them into a continuum, or hierarchy.  This prose has a place of its own in my mental files.  Just wonderful stuff!  After stopping a purse snatcher, Eve is approached by the victim:  ‘“Ma’am.  I just don’t know how to thank you.”  “Start by not calling me ma’am…” …”… I’ve never had so much excitement … I’m from a little place called White Springs – just south of Wichita, Kansas …”  It had to be said.  “You’re not in Kansas anymore.”’
When Eve apologizes to Roarke for something she said in the heat of an argument:  ‘”I just need a minute to say I’m sorry.  So sorry.  I don’t know where it came from, I didn’t know that was in me.  I’m ashamed that it was.” … “Your family.  I’m glad you found them, I swear I am.  Realizing I could be small enough somewhere inside me to be jealous of it, or resent it, or whatever the hell I was, it makes me sick.  I hope, after a while, you can forgive me for it.  That’s all.”’ Roarke’s response:  ‘”We’ve both said things at one time or another we wish we hadn’t.  We can put that aside … As to the rest…”  “I was wrong.”  His brows shot up.  “Either Christmas has come early, or this should be made another national holiday.”  “I know when I’ve been an idiot.  When I’ve been stupid enough I wish I could kick my own ass.”  “You can always leave that to me.”’  Yep, sounds like a married couple!
Sprinkled throughout the narrative are occasional little reminders that the setting is in New York of the year 2059.  It’s speculative fiction – sci-fi – but it only speculates a little further out; which is actually harder to do than creating a world that is wildly different than the one we know.  It’s largely about guessing what kind of technological developments might have come about, and which ones haven’t yet developed.  Eve has a “communicator” on which she “tags” her coworkers and husband.  The copyright date of the book is 2006, when we just had “cell phones” and were still “calling” people.  She decides, at one point, to drive her vehicle instead of setting it on “auto.”  When she’s in a hurry, her vehicle “shoots into vertical” and later, it “nips back down to the street.”  And when investigating a murder scene, she opens a can of “Seal-It” and sprays it all over her hands to keep from leaving her fingerprints or disturbing the ones left by the murderer.  Oh, and there are ‘droids everywhere, including the one running the hotel she and Roarke visit.  And they don’t look like C3PO.
But like any good sci-fi, the human interest is still the main attraction, and is particularly well communicated by this so-called “Romance Writer” turned “Sci-fi Thriller Writer.”  Very intelligently written, smartly plotted, and peopled by very believable and engaging characters.  What a treat!






Next week: Chapters 7-11

Week 3:  Chapters 12-16
Week 4:  Chapters 17-21

No comments:

Post a Comment