Friday, September 13, 2013

Red Mist (Chapters 11-18)

Cornwell continues to offer a great amount of detail about the relationships of the main characters and their loved ones and acquaintances.  A good author knows that readers care more about the story if they care about the characters, but it begins to get tedious here.  The more she goes on about the details of the relationships the less I care.  These are, after all, fictional characters.  It’s as if she’s begging us to care about them, so that the story will appeal to us.  It has occurred to me quite a few times while reading this that I have neglected the literary genres specifically aimed at female readership.  Once I was told – by a female - that if I were to read a book by Danielle Steel, that I just wouldn’t like it, because I’m a guy.  I took the challenge and she recommended “Message from Nam,” since the setting was a war zone – “which a guy can maybe relate to.”  I didn’t like it.  The main thing I didn’t like was the amateurish prose itself; as if it had been written by a precocious thirteen-year-old, with an understanding of adult issues, but very little training or experience in writing.  But I didn’t like it on other levels as well. 

“Red Mist” is a marked improvement over the Steel book, but I’m still haunted by the “written-for-women” ghost.  I like to think that I’m open-minded enough to “get it” and enjoy it anyway, just like I’m open-minded about reading books for teens (I do very much like the “Twilight” series and the “Hunger Games” books!) or books written for blacks.  I hate to consider the idea that books “written for women” are written at an inferior level, as if women aren’t as smart as men, so it doesn’t matter if you write down to them.  I have been out-achieved, out-smarted, and out-classed by women far too many times to have such a Neanderthal attitude about them.  That’s why this topic – and books like this – are such a disturbing enigma for me. 

Now, to get nitpicky… 1. Switching tenses mid-sentence:  “It was still hot when the sun came up, and by eight a.m. I’m [I was] sweltering in black field clothes…” 2. Wrong word spelling:  “…I realized I can’t afford to waiver [waver] in my resolve.”  3. Confused syntax:  “I’m involved not because I volunteered.”  But it’s not really being nitpicky, because these things keep popping up throughout the entire book so far.  These three examples occurred within the space of one page!  Ms. Cornwell needs to find a good editor and just completely surrender to that person’s judgment.
 
However…  Suddenly, at chapter 16, the story shifts into a higher gear.  All the relationship-oriented small-talk switches to a much more interesting shop-talk; the forensic lab shop-talk of the professional M. E.  Here is where Cornwell shines, and where we finally get a glimpse of her extensive knowledge on the subject.  I have only watched a few small fragments of the TV shows that feature this, but my impression is that the writers for those shows probably pick up where writers like Cornwell leave off.  It’s just more entertaining, to me at least, to read it than to watch B grade actors try to impress me with it.
 
The introduction of the character Colin Dengate is a huge breath of fresh air.  Mandy O’Toole is a welcome addition as well.  This new thread continues through chapters 17 and 18 and I feel that I’m finally past the “introduction” (153 pages worth!) and into the meat of the story.  Suddenly the story is no longer SLOW, and I feel that I’m getting what I came for.  Our main character, Kay Scarpetta, is in her element now, at her impressive best.  Here’s hoping that the “filler,” if that’s what it was, is no longer considered necessary, and the new pace continues!



Next week's chapters: 19-27.

No comments:

Post a Comment