Friday, November 9, 2012

Lunatics, (Chapters 17-32)


FM:  The plot of this amazing story continues to whiz by almost faster than it can be assimilated! I have read a few science fiction short stories and even novels that come close to this velocity, but I believe this story sets the record for me. It does slow down ever so slightly to introduce us to a new key character or three, but then accelerates again in a sequence of events so unlikely and bizarre that we have no time to even consider whether to suspend our disbelief. We just go with the flow because it’s so much fun! 

CJ:  I'm a little behind on my reading, but I honestly can't read more than 3-4 chapters of this a day. It is so gut busting funny that my cheeks hurt from laughing! 

FM:  As rare as it is that I actually laugh out loud at something I'm reading, my dogs kept wondering over and over if I was trying to get their attention!  The main source of out-loud chuckles still comes from the left-handed humor and witty turns of phrase that Dave Barry is famous for. Yet there is a difference in this humor between the two main characters, with the relatively cultured Philip employing a more subtle or understated delivery. Jeffrey’s delivery, on the other hand, relies somewhat on colorful expletives, much as Richard Pryor compared to Jay Leno. Again the question arises; is this difference a reflection of the styles of the two co-authors? I still have my doubts. Maybe I’m giving them too much credit, but I think it’s just good character development.  

CJ:  The banter back and forth between the two … umm, I think they are both antagonists ... reminds me of a chapter by chapter blow in a courtroom. I can almost imagine that the finale will be a judge passing sentence on the two main characters for their part in terrorizing Manhattan! 

FM:  "Antogonists" seems to be the right description, though the irony here is that they are "antagonistic protagonists," if you will.   In comparison, the appallingly mercenary attitude of a new character, Sharisse Fricker, could only be considered humorous in a farce such as this.  The fact that Sharisse’s well-planned scheme backfired on her is, of course, cosmic justice at its finest. The revolutionaries take for granted that the extorted money was destined to fall into their hands; the bizarre turn of events seems to make it clear to them that this is indeed the case. Our "heroes" maintain just enough presence of mind at just the right moments to go along with the misunderstandings, and the revolutionaries willingly misunderstand their motives and slips of the tongue just often enough to keep them from getting suspicious. All of this is as beautifully choreographed into the plot and dialog as in the very best of humor writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment