Friday, July 13, 2012

The Glass Castle, pages 73-144 (50% on Kindle)

FM: This gem of a book continues, as biographies tend to do, describing disconnected events in more or less chronological order.  For several reasons, it doesn’t become tedious here the way it sometimes can in a book like this.  Each reminiscence has its own element of fascination that keeps me drawn in, and even eager to see what the next one will reveal.  Some novels are written this way, where I find myself having to push forward to get on with it.  Not here; it’s a “page-turner,” not in the sense that the suspense builds and makes you want to find out where events are leading, but in the sense that there always seems to be something fresh and interesting around the next corner.

CJ: Well, I'm just a little perturbed at the Okie reference. 

FM: I remember noticing the Okie reference when I read it, but don't recall now exactly what it was. Was it a remark the father made, or the author?

CJ: I think the Okie reference was Mom talking about how Okies were worse off than them.

FM: That’s right; I remember that Okie reference eliciting a wry grin from me.  After reading “The Grapes of Wrath” I was somewhat desensitized at the word.  But I know a lot of people who take it pretty seriously!

CJ: Otherwise, this saga is captivating. As an educator it helps me get inside the life of kids that I know are sitting in my classroom. I've done some study on the psychology of poverty & why people tend to stay there for generations and this book reaffirms everything I've learned.

FM: Your point about getting a glimpse inside the life of disadvantaged kids struck a chord with me as well.  When the oldest sister is discovered to need glasses, I was taken back to when I got my first pair.  Lori steps outside and looks at a tree across the street and tells the Jeanette that she can actually see the individual leaves on the tree.  When Jeannette tells her that she could always see them, it takes a minute to sink in.  Then she burst into tears.  Who isn’t moved by that? 

CJ: The family was given an economic opportunity when grandma died, but within a short period of time all the wealth was gone to meet the immediate wants of the parents. This is just a reinforcement of the stories we hear about lottery winners who end up in worse shape after they won than when they started. I enjoy the in depth character development of Mom & Dad, it helps me to understand the thinking, or lack thereof, of people who can't seem to escape poverty.

FM: Yes, I’ve heard poverty described as a “personality disorder.”  It’s definitely a matter of habits. The descriptions of the father’s ordeal with alcoholism are especially wrenching.  When he promises his 10-year-old daughter that he’ll give it up as her birthday gift, the reader can’t help but rejoice with the daughter, while having grave doubts about whether he can pull it off.  And after he has gone through a lengthy personal hell to get there, and makes a valiant effort to stay there, only to be dragged back down after the set-back of having to cancel the family camping trip, we sympathize, especially those of us who have had to conquer demon habits of our own.

CJ: The gypsy lifestyle of the family does have a certain appeal. They are not bound by financial obligation and have freedoms that I can only imagine. The intrigue of that vagabond lifestyle tends to sugar coat the reality of the daily situations the children have to endure.


Next segment: Pages 145-217 (75% on Kindle)

No comments:

Post a Comment